We can all agree that things are changing with the advance of the Internet in our lives. And we can also agree that there are positives and negatives to any big change. This is no different. The future is a scary place. But there are also some great things to look forward to. So let’s look at a few of the positives and negatives, and I’ll let you decide where we draw the line, and if we can come to accept these changes as good.
1. Losing our sense of reality (the things that are important like human relationships)
2. Each individual has more power than ever before which could lead to negative things
3. There’s more opportunity for information breaches with everything we put out onto the Internet (transparency!)
4. Artificial intelligence becomes too powerful!
5. “Community” becomes lost with large cities becoming common place.
6. It gets harder to escape the power of technology over us.
7. Small, locally-owned businesses can’t keep up with the Global Internet Economy.
8. Children grow up too fast (sense of family is lost, parents lose control.)
9. Everything is in one place, too much trust in one thing!
1. We can work in this environment anywhere as the economy of the Internet is global!
2. We have a greater opportunity for learning and knowledge (we can find out anything!)
3. There’s more specialization.
4. There’s opportunity for more advancements in every field which could lead to cures for cancer and aids, prevention of crime, etc.
5. Changes in the food we eat and the energy we consume make improvements in the environment.
6. We’re able to go/live/work anywhere!
7. Everything is easier to keep track of and maintain (money, bills, insurance, etc.)
8. Everything has a purpose and can only be used for that purpose.
9. Children are exposed to more (knowledge) at a young age, which could lead to inventions, or other changes that affect the world.
So, what do you think? Are you excited about the future? I think the Internet and other advancements of the digital age make this an exciting time. Yes, there are definitely concerns, and things to be cautious about. But there are also a lot of good things. Now, we just need to prepare ourself. Because, the future is here. There’s nothing we can do about that. So, we should prepare ourselves for the changes that are still yet to come.
How do we do that? Keep reading.
Ways to Prepare:
1. Be knowledgeable about the technological advancements that are underway.
2. Be willing to live transparently.
3. Be accepting that artificial intelligence would transform the world as we know it.
4. View and accept the Internet as a catalyst for change.
5. Create and invent.
6. Exercise your voice as a “Global Citizen.”
7. Work to ensure boundaries are not lost as this new digital world and the changes it brings takes over.
8. Think about ways to harness the power of the future for good things like crime prevention and saving the environment.
9. Communicate and educate!